Friday, May 15, 2009

Book # 20: The Portrait of a Lady

by Henry James

As I was once again stuck on what to read next, I spend some time looking at the books I've owned for quite some time, but never attempted to read. This is one of those classics that I knew I should read, but then never could motivate myself to start. It was good. Wordy, long winded, mostly conversational or descriptive, just as most Englishy-class books of this type and time period tend to be. Jane Austen, who I love, has a tendency toward this as well. I'm glad I read it. I don't think I'll be jumping at the chance to read it a second time or scouting the library shelves for more Henry James novels to dive into. It is just one of those books that make you feel smarter having it on your shelf and knowing you've read it.

Oh, and I did like the ending! Not happy, but no dream awakening sequences, and Henry James didn't care if we liked it or not. He did what he had to do to be realistic, not romantic.

And once again, I'm stuck on what to read next. Guess I should visit that book shelf again.

No comments: