Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Book # 32: Wuthering Heights

by Emily Bronte

As a classic and one that I had more frequently been hearing about, I eagerly picked up this book expecting another Jane Austen style romance. Not the case at all. Much darker and almost gloomy, this book is a disappointment if approached in that light. However, after I got over the fact that this was not going to be another witty-banter romance, the book proved good. It was intriguing, and one that would be great to discuss with a group. Not one I would reread on a regular basis--too depressing and a little disconnected from the characters (as it is a story told within the story). But a decent read, and I am glad to finally be able to understand the references made in other books and movies.

Book # 33: Should be done within a week
Arguing with Idiots
by Glenn Beck

4 comments:

Mommy Meg said...

Well you definitely kicked my tail for books of 2009 Kelly! I only completed 20, to your 32 or 33! Great job! Arguing With Idiots is hopefully one I will get to in 2010. Would you like to continue to competition in 2010?

Mommy Meg said...

I also want to add that I completely agree with you about Wuthering Heights. I read it about 4 or 5 years ago and remember thinking how dark and miserable the characters were. I mentioned it to a coworker at the time and she commented on how it was written during the Industrial Revolution (?) which was a very dark and miserable time in Great Britian (?), so she was simply writing out of her own experience. I hope I remembered that all correctly! At any rate, the novel was good, definitely a classic, but difficult for me to relate to personally at the same time. I'm just not that miserable.

Mommy Meg said...

Are ya readin' anything lately Kelly? How are you feeling?

Barb Mitchell said...

I belong to an educational book group. I didn't get the book til late. I never got a chance to read it. I was cleaning out a church and constantly packing and unpacking my car to get stuff to another church. I might have packed the book. I just bot another copy on Amazon so I can read THE LAST CHAPTER before book group. DA!
Barb M