Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Book # 17: At Gettysburg

or What a Girl Saw and Heard of the Battle
By Mrs. Tillie Pierce Alleman

On our Valentine's Day trip to Gettysburg, Josh and I toured the Shriver House, which housed the Shriver family during the time of the Civil War. While on this tour, we were introduced to the Pierce family who were the Shriver's neighbors. Their daughter Tillie kept a diary and had an account of what she witnessed during the battle. In the gift shop, they had copies of the diary which was first published in 1888, so I purchased one.

It was interesting to get a first hand account, and Tillie was definitely part of the action. She left town with the Shriver family to go to a farmhouse away from Gettysburg that actually put them more into the center of the battle. The barn next to the house she was staying in served as a spot to care for the wounded. Not only does she tell what she experienced, but she can also tell what her parents experienced staying in the town of Gettysburg during the days of battle. She also knew Jennie Wade, who was the only civilian to be killed during the battle, as they had housed and hired Jennie's brother, Sam. It was an intriguing account, and fascinating after having visited the battlefields and many of the places she mentioned. It is definitely an account of what she witnessed and not a history or analysis of the battles, but it was interesting to get a first hand account.

Not sure what I am reading next. I think I am coming to the end of my must read list. Any suggestions?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Have you read the Three Musketeers? Greg and I both just read it and it was good! I'll let you know if I think of more... ~Jessie