Monday, June 23, 2008

The Battle of the Blue

The best way to describe our house prior to our takeover was with one word: blue. I don't know if any of you remember that oh-so-popular decor in the late 80's, early 90's of the country blue. Well, our house modeled that fashion perfectly.

All of our trim--blue, all of our window panes--blue, (who paints the center of your window pane a color other than white?)



all of our carpet--blue,



the doors--blue, the basement walls--blue. And the wallpaper in the dining room sported, surprise, surprise, blue stripes with blue flowers dispersed among the lines. Everywhere you looked your eyes were inundated with that pale, sky blue.

Now don't get me wrong--I love the color blue. It was my favorite color up until 12th grade, when I discovered purple. Our living room furniture is a gray-blue leather. Blue is beautiful. Just not when it covers every inch of your house. It is then that you begin to dream in blue. So one of our first tasks was to remove the blue! One coat of primer and two coats of semi-gloss later, we are happy to announce that most of the blue trim is now gone. The blue carpet also made a lovely march to the trash can. I am proud to say that in order to take the blue carpet picture, I had to hunt for a piece of that blue carpet. One remnant remains in our master bathroom protecting the shower from the ladder we have posted in there to work on the walls.

And if you'll look closely at that blue carpet, you'll notice something that we have also seen our fair share of--dirt! There is a number of dog and cat hairs mixed with who knows what! That picture is just a preview of my next post which will be all about dirt and the condition of our home prior to move in!

2 comments:

Fr. Tom said...

Frankly, this post leaves me kind of blue.

Kelly said...

Posted a song called, "I'm blue", to help you cheer up!