Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Dirt Addition

3 large dogs + 2 adults = our home's original owners + at least 15 years residency

2 dogs + 3 cats + 2 kids + 2 adults = the owners previous to us + 3 years of no cleaning

15 years + 3 years + no cleaning or changing of curtains/carpets, etc. = too much dirt to stand

I am not one to mind dirt necessarily. I am not a anti-bacterial soap dispenser carrier. I do not vacuum every day or even week. I am not afraid to eat an apple unwashed or a chip that has touched the floor. I do subscribe to the belief that "a little dirt never hurt". However, there comes a point when things just need to be cleaned. And of course dogs, cats, kids, etc. can add to the need to clean. Now an influx of kids and pets does not mean that a house has to be filthy, if you take an occasional moment to clean. I'm not sure those living here previously understood that.

Let me paint a picture for you: The day of our final walk through/closing has arrived. We were not naive. We remembered a house needing lots of renovations, some love, and money. However, we did not expect a house unlivable. After the moving company moved the furniture and personal belongings, the previous owner did nothing about cleaning up. Take a moment, walk into your living room, and move the sofa. Now imagine leaving everything you just saw there for someone else to find. YUCK! But that's what we got--an inch thick layer of dust, hair, and dirt on all the carpets and curtains. Not convinced? Think I am exaggerating? Here's a picture to help you.


This is what is behind the master bedroom toilet stuck to the wall. I know, I know. No one cleans behind the toilet. But this level of dirt was also found in the kitchen cabinets, and in the fridge (which was left turned off and shut thus leaving a large amount of mold). Could you imagine eating off plates that sat in this filth?

The nice thing is that our house comes equipped with a central vacuum system. The movers accidentally moved some of these central vacuum parts, so the previous owners were nice enough to ship them back to us. Unfortunately, the extension parts were clogged with pine needles and an abundance of dog-scented hair. I have witnesses who will testify to the stench that filled the kitchen as I unpacked that box!

I am happy to report that the dirt war is over. Our vacuum succeeded. It is now in control of the dust mites and mold spores. We were victorious! The dirt is vanquished.

1 vacuum + 1 bottle of bleach + 1 container of clorox wipes = a clean house

2 comments:

Sarah Mason said...

Oh so totally gross... and I feel your blue pain - ours is all that weird shade of unmatchable olive/hunter green?

So it goes...

Any word on the old place?

Sarah

Kelly said...

I totally forgot about your olive/hunter green. I totally know how you feel, and it's not fun to repaint.

No word on the old place. Still waiting. Hopefully something soon. We'll keep you posted.