Wednesday, October 1, 2008

The 15 Minute Race

Where: our kitchen, living room, and dining room
When: between 12:30 and 1:30pm, every day; and at 7:15pm, every day



I call it the 15 minute race. It takes place only twice a day (if I'm lucky), and is the period of time right before Madilyn's nap or bedtime. Madilyn always has a head start as she never really stops her portion of the race. It involves carrying and discarding toys, objects, and papers as far from their correct location as possible.

My leg of the race begins after a brief internal dialogue or pep talk. It goes something like this: "You are faster. Your legs are longer. If you do this now, then you won't have to once she's in bed." The last one seals it every time. Oh, to not have to pick up a myriad of scattered toys and papers during the blessed two hours of quietness. To have even a moment where I can devote a thought to something other than tidiness.

It is thus that I begin my endless circle from living room to dining room to kitchen putting things in their correct location, and as always, on my heels is a little girl trying desperately to claim each item after it falls into place. Little cries of angst escape her lips as she sees her books returning to their basket, her utensils and bowls filling previously empty drawers, and her paper scraps entering the recycling box. Bolstering myself against fatigue, I pick up the plastic golf clubs for the 3rd time and return them to their bag. Moving frantically as I hear the pop, pop, pop of a push toy pursuing me, I throw the diaper bag and my purse into the closet and whip the door closed.

Today, I won, but some days, I forfeit.

4 comments:

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Kelly, thanks for stopping by & for leaving a note. I'll be sharing that finished bookcase probably next week...still working on it.

Mommy Meg said...

Hey Kelly! I see you're still blogging! I dediced to give it a try myself!

Lamp Tramp said...

Thanks for visiting!
I remember those days, always picking up after the. Now I'm just picking up after me, myself and my messy projects!

Kristen said...

Ha ha ha! I laughed and understood, although our flat is so small and Seth isn't running around yet. But I'm still always cleaning up after him. :)