Monday, October 6, 2008

The Mystery of the Unopenable Door

Today, I solved a mystery. Not the kind out of an Agatha Christie novel, but a perplexing puzzle none the less. Let me back up. At our home closing we were issued the usual keys and garage door openers. We held on to the keys, but primarily used the garage door openers to get in and out. They were fast and easy to use. We left an opener with both sides of our family for a while as we were not officially moving into the house for a few months. Mysteriously, the garage door openers stopped working one day when our relatives came to get something. Since then they have been utterly useless. We looked over the openers, and finding nothing wrong, eventually concluded that the system must have reset itself. Mystery solved. . . or so we thought.

Now move with me to the present. As most of you know, the state of most items in our home can be summed up with the following sign:

This is our refrigerator with the built in ice and water dispenser. We were shocked to find once me moved in that not only was it not working, but the refrigerator was not even hooked up to any water supply. So we got the water supply hookup kit, and went to work only to discover:

We were missing the compartment that transferred the ice to the door. Hmm. . . Not a good sign. As we were investigating this, I noticed this:

I don't know about you, but having a pile of ice at the bottom of your freezer does not seem to be quite right. Now to discover the problem, I don't feel like eating all of the food I have diligently stock-piled just so we can defrost the freezer. So instead we are transferring it to our deep freezer in the garage which was not hooked up yet. This was from my Grandfather, and when moving it, we did not leave the door open. So I had to clean out the mold layer first. Did that, and plugged it in. Nothing happened. The electrical outlet in our garage does not seem to be working, and low and behold that is where the garage door opener sensor was plugged in. Mystery solved!

Now we just need to figure out why our freezer is flooding, where the ice compartment is, and why the garage electrical outlet is not working. Sounds like I will be writing a mystery a week!

1 comment:

Kristen said...

Oh, the problems! You have a good attitude. Sometimes you just have to laugh. :)

And I tagged you in my post...