Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Book # 10: The Curate's Awakening

by George MacDonald

As I finished reading this book, I was still (and am still) not decided on an opinion of it. C.S. Lewis considered George MacDonald his master, and I went into reading this book with high expectations. It was good, especially theologically. George MacDonald uses the genre of fiction to express his beliefs and understanding of Christianity, and it was intriguing to see how he did it and understand what he believes. However, the plot was frankly a little slow. It took 253 pages of small print to end the way I expected it would after reading the first ten chapters or so. It's not a page turner, but I guess it is more exciting than reading straight-forward theology.

Now that all being said, there are two more in this series, and I find myself curious to see what happens to the two main characters. As I stated, I'm not sure of my final decision.

Next book:
Surprised by Christ: My Journey from Judaism to Orthodox Christianity
by Rev. A. James Bernstein

1 comment:

Mommy Meg said...

Book #10! Oh I'll never catch up! Hee hee! I just finished book #3, For One More Day. I guess Atonement is next!