Saturday, February 21, 2009

Victory!

I did it. I finally succumbed to the pressure, got myself in line, planned ahead, and have dinner cooking in the crockpot. That's right! It's 10:23AM, and my dinner is cooking away. I have been reprimanding myself for months, yes, even years, for not taking advantage of this dinner time-saving devise.

What has prevented me using it? Well, for a while I taught and who wanted to get up earlier in order to put dinner in the crockpot. Then it was summer and being home why couldn't I spend an hour or two before dinner getting things ready. And what's my excuse for after Madilyn was born? I procrastinate. Four o'clock would roll around, and I would think, I really need to think about dinner. Then four thirty would be here, and well, maybe I should go take care of dinner. Five o'clock would arrive, and I would be sprinting around the kitchen, frantically, cooking, heating, and chopping.

I can't promise I won't backslide and fall back into old habits, but I can promise that tonight I KNOW WHAT'S FOR DINNER.

Anyone have crockpot recipes you'd like to share?

4 comments:

Kristen said...

I love crock pots! I have many good recipes and even know of a blog with one crock pot recipe for every day last year!

Kelly said...

Ooo, are you willing to share the blog url? Or one or two of your all time favorite recipes?

Mine wasn't a huge hit. I thought it was pretty good, but not something I'd want to eat often. Josh didn't really care for it. It used cream of mushroom soup, so that might have been the issue. I'm not sure. And now my house smells like onions because of the recipe.

Anonymous said...

Kelly, I was reading back in your blog... I've got a crockpot recipe I like:

1 can (28-oz) whole peeled Italian tomatoes
1 can (15-oz) cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
1 can (15-oz) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 can (15-oz) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
1 can (15-oz) butter beans, rinsed and drained
1 cup chopped onion
4 slices pre-cooked bacon, cut into half-inch pieces
1 packet chicken gravy mix
2 teaspoons dried Italian seasoning
1.5 pounds sweet Italian sausage links
(I use 1 pound sweet, 1 pound hot)

In 5-quart slow cooker, stir together undrained tomatoes, all of the beans, bacon, gravy mix, and seasoning until thoroughly combined. Push sausages links down into bean mixture.

Cover and cook on HIGH heat setting for 4 to 5 hours.

Cut sausage into serving-size pieces and serve with bean mixture.

-- Other Kelly

Kelly said...

Thank you Other Kelly! I am so excited to try it. It sounds really good.