Tuesday, December 2, 2008

I wish. . .

So I wish I could tell you I was absolutely done with Christmas shopping, or my Christmas cards. Not to mention, how much of a relief it would be to say that my living room finally had artwork hung on the walls or my curtains finalized. I would also love to tell you that my pictures have all been organized and developed, and that my stairway had a cascade of faces to gaze upon during your ascent. Or perhaps that my daughter's first year scrapbook had at least a few more pages complete. It would be thrilling to say that my dinner was simmering on the stove, while my Amish friendship bread baked in the oven, and my bread maker kneaded a dough. How about glistening front windows, or carpet freshly vacuumed? Not to mention that the front yard would be cleared of all remnants of past trees. My hallway would be primed and painted, along with the family room walls.

But, while I can't tell you any of that, I can tell you that I read Madi three books today--one to her large stuffed pig, and one to her purple-overall wearing bear. We watched the birds and squirrels bicker over our two bird feeders at least four times, accompanied by our cat who was twitching her tail. I can tell you that Madi helped ring the Salvation Army bell at Walmart today, and that she waved at exactly twelve different people, all unknown. We sang at least 24 songs, whether with music or not, and put in the motions as best as we could. I can say that I only lost my patience once so far, and even when the bowl of applesauce slipped from little hands leaving a trail across the entire dining room floor, I did not once sigh or groan. I've overcome at least nine fits and temper tantrums, most of those belonging to Madi, and I've managed to drink three glasses of water. So while my house looks the same as it always did, please don't think that things aren't changing, because Madi and I are hard to work, trying to improve ourselves.

Hope you all had a Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments: