Friday, March 13, 2009

Book # 12: Surprised by Christ

My Journey from Judaism to Orthodox Christianity
by Rev. A. James Bernstein

Our church did this as a book club book, and I became especially intrigued after reading the book by A.J. Jacobs, The Year of Living Biblically, where he tries to live the bible as literally as possible. A.J. was raised Jewish, and so while living the New Testament literally, he visits some Christian churches. However, he never discovered or visited an Orthodox Church. So I was curious to see how James Bernstein responded to it, and how his conversion took place.

Well, I was in for more than that! James has had an astonishing life living through the Six Day War, the Civil Right's Movement, and the Jesus Movement. Not only did he dive into those events and really experience them up close and personal, but he also goes into detail on many theological matters. I would highly recommend it, as he explains everything in a way that is easy to understand, and the stories from his life make for a nice bridge between the explanations.

Next book:
Baby Catcher
by Peggy Vincent
This is a repeat read, and I can already say that I highly recommend it, as I am obviously reading it again!

No comments: